If you or a loved one suffered an injury after a preventable slip and fall accident, an attorney from our firm is ready and willing to help. We are proud to serve clients in and around Columbia, South Carolina.
Our Columbia slip and fall injury lawyer can help you determine the case’s value and seek that amount from the liable party’s insurance company. This way, you do not have to worry about where you will get the funds to support your family or afford medical care.
Compensation for Slip and Fall Accidents in Columbia, S.C.
A slip and fall accident can cost you a lot: financial stability, physical health, mental health, and more. Anastopoulo Law Firm can help you fight for the damages your injuries may entitle you to. They may include some or all of the following items:
- Loss of wages or earning capacity: Did your injury force you to take time off work? If the injury is permanent, will it affect your ability to work in the future?
- Medical expenses: Have you required any type of professional treatment to cope with the injuries?
- Other related expenses: For instance, have you hired a housekeeper or a gardener to care for your house and property while you heal?
- Loss of employment: Did you have to give up a job because your injuries make it impossible to fulfill your duties?
- Pain and suffering: Did the injuries cause you noticeable physical distress? Has your mental health suffered since the accident?
- Disability: Has the injury resulted in a temporary or permanent disability? Has it worsened a preexisting condition?
- Loss of consortium: Has your relationship with your spouse suffered in any way because of the injury?
- Reduced quality of life: Are you no longer able to perform certain tasks independently, whether they be fun hobbies or necessary tasks of living?
You may seek the above damages in personal injury cases, i.e., cases where you are suing on your own behalf. If you are filing a wrongful death lawsuit after a loved one passed away from slip and fall injuries, you may qualify for the following types of damages in addition to some of those listed above:
- Loss of companionship: Has your loved one’s death forced you and their other survivors to learn to cope without their presence and support?
- Funeral and burial expenses: Did you pay out of pocket to ensure that you laid your loved one to rest in the way that they wanted?
- Loss of financial support: Are you struggling to make ends meet now that you can no longer rely on your loved one’s income?
No matter what type of case you file, our firm wants to help.
We Represent Slip and Fall Accident Victims
Anastopoulo Law Firm can work to preserve your rights and recover fair compensation following a slip and fall injury in Columbia. Here is a partial list of the tasks the team at our office can perform for you:
- Evaluating your case: At no cost or obligation to you, a member of our team would be happy to listen to your story and tell you if you have a valid legal case.
- Collecting evidence: S.C. Ann. § 15-82-10(2)(B) states that if you enter someone else’s property illegally, the owner is not responsible for any injuries you sustain. We can look for evidence to prove that you behaved legally at all times.
- Identifying the liable party: In many cases, the property owner or manager is responsible for slip and fall injuries. Therefore, they are also responsible for paying damages.
- Negotiating with the insurance company: If the insurer tries to speak with you alone, tell them to contact us. Otherwise, they may take advantage of your unfamiliarity with the law to undermine your rights and avoid paying fair compensation.
- Going to court: In many cases, we can get a pretrial settlement for our clients. However, we are more than willing to represent our clients at trial when this is not possible.
- Keeping you updated: We never keep our clients in the dark. Whenever there is a significant development, we let you know and, as necessary, help you decide how to respond.
At Anastopoulo Law Firm, we can do all of the above for you at no upfront cost. We never charge clients attorney’s fees unless and until we can put money in their pockets. In this way, we reduce the financial barriers that may stop deserving individuals from hiring legal representation.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
After any type of accident, it is crucial to seek medical and legal help as soon as you can. Seeking medical care can help you both physically and legally in the following ways:
- It can save your life: Prompt medical care can ensure that you survive the accident by, for example, preventing infections.
- It can prevent minor injuries from becoming major problems: It is always better to be safe than sorry after an accident.
- It can prove you deserve damages: A thorough medical record can help convince an insurance company that you are entitled to the damages you seek.
It is also vital to seek legal assistance once a doctor has treated your immediate injuries. Per S.C. Ann. § 15-3-530, accident victims or their survivors have just three years from the incident (either the accident or the date of death) to take legal action against the liable parties.
Our team at Anastopoulo Law Firm wants to hear about your case as soon as possible to ensure you can take full advantage of your right to sue. This will also give us more time to collect evidence and build the strongest possible case in your favor.
Call for a Free Consultation
Whether you suffered a slip and fall injury yourself or are suing on behalf of a deceased loved one, call Anastopoulo Law Firm at (800) 777-7777 for a free consultation. A team member can explain how a lawyer from our Columbia office can protect your rights, calculate how much monetary compensation you may be entitled to, and negotiate with the insurance company for every penny you are due.