Birth Injury Lawyer in Lake City, South Carolina
There is nothing more precious than the birth of a child. But sadly, in some cases, birth injuries can result from negligence on the part of your practitioner. Untreated birth injuries can have severe consequences, such as developmental disabilities and life-long impairment.
If your child was harmed during the birthing process at a hospital in Lake City, South Carolina, you may be owed compensation. A Lake City birth injury lawyer with Anastopouolo Law Firm can help you understand your options and the compensation your family may be entitled to. We are here to help you through this difficult process.
Birth Injuries Impact Your Child and Family
The birthing process can cause harm to your child, especially if the medical team isn’t attentive. An injury that can result during the birthing process includes:
- Fractures: Clavicle or collarbone fractures are a common form of birth injury. Luckily, these injuries typically heal quickly with little medical intervention.
- Facial paralysis: During birth, pressure to the baby’s face can result in torn or bruised facial nerves. The use of forceps can exacerbate this issue. If your child’s facial nerves were torn, surgery may be required.
- Brachial palsy:This condition is a form of nerve damage that can cause reduced movement in your child’s arm or shoulder region. The injury can occur during a difficult delivery. Physical therapy can reduce the impact of this condition.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI):TBIs can occur during birth and lead to serious developmental issues for your child.
There are many other forms of birth injury. If you believe your child was injured due to negligence or inadequate care of a health care provider or Lake City hospital, our team can investigate your case. We can help determine if your situation warrants compensation.
Causes of Birth Injury
Various circumstances that can lead to a birth injury. Some of these can be grounds for an insurance claim or lawsuit, such as:
- Lack of adequate monitoring (e.g., the baby goes into respiratory distress)
- Improper prenatal care
- Failure to perform a required C-section
While birth injuries can occur without medical malpractice, some cases result from negligence. An investigation of relevant procedures and protocols can reveal if your child’s birth injuries were avoidable and the result of medical malpractice.
For a free legal consultation with a birth injury lawyer serving Lake City, call (800) 777-7777
Damages in a Birth Injury Case in Lake City, SC
The type of compensation you could receive will be based on the facts in your case. Your child’s birth injuries could require a lifetime of therapies. Perhaps you have to quit your job to stay home, take care of your child, and take them to appointments.
These damages are broken up into two categories, economic and non-economic. Economic damages are direct costs, like medical bills and lost wages, whereas non-economic damages refer to emotional losses, like pain and suffering. These damages may include:
- Costs of special education programs if developmental issues arise
- Any medical costs your child needs now and, in the future,
- Mental or emotional distress caused by the birth injuries
- Lost income or reduced earning capacity resulting from the time off needed to take care of your child due to the injury
Keep in mind there is a cap on non-economic damages in medical malpractice cases, per S.C. Ann. § 15-32-220. Your birth injury lawyer in Lake City, SC, can let you know how this statute applies to your case.
Outcomes of a Lake City Birth Injury Case
There are two primary outcomes for a Lake City birth injury case. Either your case will conclude with an out-of-court settlement, or it will be decided by a jury trial. In many situations, out-of-court settlements are the least time-consuming and most desirable for both parties.
Either of these outcomes can result in compensation for your damages. If you’re unsure which applies best to your case, our team can help. We’ll explain the necessary steps to establish liability and help you stay on top of deadlines.
According to S.C. Ann. § 15-3-545 you have three years from:
- The date of the malpractice; or
- The date you discovered the malpractice injury to file your lawsuit in civil court.
Your attorney will ensure you meet this deadline and your case is filed on time in the correct court.
Lake City Birth Injury Lawyer Near Me (800) 777-7777
The Advantage of Choosing a Lake City Birth Injury Lawyer
The benefits of hiring a Lake City birth injury lawyer can be very helpful during this challenging time. An attorney from Anastopouolo Law Firm can handle all aspects of your case while you focus on your child’s needs. We can do the following:
- Help you understand the long and complex process of filing a case against a medical professional or facility
- Work to evaluate the details of your case
- Determine the impacts on the livelihood of you and your child
- Gather any evidence relevant to your case, such as medical records and expert testimony
- Adhere to C. Ann. § 15-36-100, which mandates that medical malpractice cases must include an expert affidavit
- Negotiate with insurers on your behalf and work towards a settlement
- Represent you in court and defend your rights
These services are designed to provide you with compassionate support during a difficult time. We’ll work on the details of your case so you can focus on protecting your family and dealing with the aftermath of a birth injury.
Why Choose Anastopouolo Law Firm?
With over 25 years of legal experience, our firm has handled many types of personal injury cases, including medical malpractice.
Our commitment to compassionate legal support is demonstrated by what our past clients say about us. Here are a few testimonials about their experience with Anastopouolo Law Firm:
- “The lawyers at the Anastopoulo Law Firm are professional, reliable. and ready to fight for their clients. I would highly recommend this firm to any friend, family member, or acquaintance.” – Lisa Ward
- “Very friendly staff. Always keep you up to date on all activities and information about your account. Would highly recommend them to any and everyone.”– Shameika Clark
- “Great law firm. Emailed them the other night and the next day they were at my house. This is what I call great service.” – Bill Blinn
Our legal team will provide the same exceptional service to you throughout your case to ensure your family gets the compensation needed to move forward.
Contact Anastopouolo Law Firm Today
At Anastopouolo Law Firm we understand that you’re going through a difficult and scary time. We want to ensure you’re taken care of while navigating your Lake City birth injury case.
Our team offers free case evaluations, and we work on a contingency fee basis. This means we only receive a payment if you receive damages for your losses. You pay no hourly rate or upfront fee for us to get started on your case.
Call (800) 313-2546 to get in touch with our firm representatives today.