Aiken Bicycle Accident Attorney
When a car hits a bicycle, the result can be catastrophic-even fatal-injuries to the rider. A bike is no match for a vehicle’s size and speed, and cyclists do not have the protections of a vehicle cab.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries because of a negligent driver, you deserve help paying for your medical bills and other losses. An Aiken bicycle accident attorney with Poulin | Willey | Anastopoulo, LLC. can help you with an insurance claim or lawsuit to recover the damages you need to care for yourself and your family.
South Carolina Is One of the Most Dangerous States for Bicyclists
Aiken is an attractive location for bicycle riders. The town has more than two dozen marked trails, including the Aiken Horse Country Explorer at Citizens Park and the North Augusta Explorer. In addition, the Aiken Bicycle Club is active, hosting weekly rides and the annual Aiken to Ride Century.
However, U.S. News reported a study showing South Carolina is No. 2 among the most dangerous states for cyclists overall and has the fourth-highest rate of fatal bicycle accidents per capita.
Our personal injury attorneys could fight for you if you were in a bicycle accident on Woodside Plantation Drive, Silver Bluff Road, or elsewhere in Aiken. We can hold the driver who caused your collision liable for your injuries and damages. We assist with cases involving:
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Severe cuts and contusions (road rash)
- Back, neck, and spinal injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Internal injuries
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of mobility or paralysis
- Wrongful death
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Aiken, call 803-222-2222
Pursuing Bicycle Accident Compensation
Whether a negligent driver, unsafe road conditions, or a vehicle defect led to your accident, our attorneys will get to the bottom of what caused the crash and pursue fair compensation for you and your loved ones.
#1. Past and Future Medical Treatment
You should not have to jeopardize your family’s financial stability with mounting medical bills that weren’t your fault. Instead, we can seek compensation for your current and expected future medical care, including:
- Ambulance transportation
- Emergency department fees
- Follow-up care
- Physical and cognitive rehabilitation
- Long-term nursing services
#2. Pain and Suffering
Severe injuries can cause significant physical discomfort and permanent disabilities and affect a victim’s emotional and mental well-being. Therefore, you may qualify for awards for these and other intangible damages, such as depression, anxiety, and loss of enjoyment of life.
#3. Lost Income
Our bicycle accident lawyers can help you recover back pay from time lost on the job due to your injuries and recovery. In addition, we could seek compensation for your diminished future earning potential if you suffered a permanent or disabling injury that requires you to work less, retire, or change careers.
#4. Property Damage
We can seek awards to fix or replace your bicycle. We can also recover the value of any other damaged property, including laptops, cellphones, watches, and jewelry.
#5. Wrongful Death
If your loved one sustained a fatal bicycle accident injury, we offer our sincerest condolences. Once you’re ready to proceed, our team can help you recover damages they could have pursued had they lived per S.C. Ann. § 15-51-10.
Compensation may include funeral and burial expenses, medical bills, loss of the deceased’s financial support, loss of your loved one’s care and companionship, and surviving family members’ pain and suffering.
Aiken Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 803-222-2222
Let Our Team Handle Your Bicycle Accident Case
You have enough on your plate. Therefore, let our Aiken bicycle accident attorneys pursue your insurance claim or lawsuit so that you can concentrate on your health and your loved ones. Our team will:
- Gather case evidence, including eyewitness testimony, medical records, and police reports
- Calculate your out-of-pocket losses, estimate your future accident-related expenses, and pursue fair compensation for your pain and suffering
- Manage case paperwork and deadlines
- Communicate with insurance agents and opposing counsel on your behalf
- Fight for your best interests during negotiations
Unlike some law firms, we will not shy away from taking your case to court if necessary. According to S.C. Ann. § 15-3-530, you have three years to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit. However, even if you feel confident you will settle with the insurance company, you do not want to wait too long. If the statute of limitations expires, it could result in a reduced payout or denied claim.
Bicycle Accident Causes
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about one-third of bicycle accidents involve intoxication. Other factors that contribute to bicycle accidents include:
- Bicycle accidents occur more often in urban areas than on rural roadways. In addition, fatal accidents are more likely to occur away from intersections, where cars travel at higher speeds.
- According to the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), bicycle accidents happen more often during the summer months and in the late afternoon or early evening, when cyclists may be less visible to motorists.
- Age and sex. The CDC reports that people ages 10 to 24 account for one in three bicycle injuries treated in emergency departments. Additionally, male riders are five times more likely to suffer injuries and six times more likely to suffer death than female riders.
- Unsafe riding environment. Inadequatelighting, broken traffic signals, poorly designed intersections, and negligent road maintenance can all contribute to bicycle collisions.
Of course, accidents also happen due to a motorist’s negligent actions. For example, reckless driving behaviors that could lead to a bicycle accident include:
- Entering a bicycle lane
- Failing to stop at a marked intersection
- Distracted driving
- Aggressive driving (road rage)
- Illegal passing
- Improper turns
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Poulin | Willey | Anastopoulo, LLC. Today
Seeking justice on behalf of the injured is what we do. So, let Poulin | Willey | Anastopoulo, LLC. handle your case with professionalism and compassion while striving to get the results you need as quickly as possible.
To learn more about how our Aiken bicycle accident attorneys can represent you at no upfront cost, call our offices today at (800) 313-2546. A team member can get you started with a free consultation.