Have you been injured in a bicycle accident? Are you struggling to pay medical bills and other costs associated with your injury? In beautiful South Carolina, bicycles are a great alternative to motor vehicles for transportation and leisure. However, even when wearing a helmet, a bicycle accident can still result in significant injuries and damage.
Because of this, it is in your best interests to retain a bicycle accident attorney to help you recover all of the damages and compensation that you incurred. Make the prudent decision and contact Anastopoulo Law Firm for the legal representation you deserve.
Contact us online or by phone at (800) 313-2546 to discuss your case with a bicycle accident lawyer in South Carolina.
South Carolina Bike Laws
Every year, thousands of cyclists are injured on the road. Some of these injuries are very serious and can result in permanent injury, disfigurement, and even death. As a result, South Carolina has enacted rules and regulations governing the avenues of relief available for those injured in bicycle accidents.
Under Code Section 56-5-3410 through 3500, bicycle laws in South Carolina include the following:
- Bicycle riders must use the appropriate bicycle lanes, when provided
- If there are no bicycle lanes, when possible bicyclists should ride nearest to the right side of the roadway
- More than 2 riders should not ride side by side at any one time, unless on specific paths or trails
- Bicyclists should use appropriate bicycle hand signals at all times to indicate stops and turns
- Bicyclists are not permitted to carry any package or item that prevents them from keeping both hands on the wheel
- When riding at night, bicycles need to be equipped with reflector lights and headlamps
- All bicycles should be equipped with working brakes
When a driver has violated an article of Section 56-5 and this violation was the proximate cause of a bicyclist’s minor injury, a civil fine of up to $500 may be imposed by the court. When the driver’s violation is the proximate cause of a bicyclist’s great bodily injury, a civil fine of no more than $1,000 can be imposed.
Recommended Steps to Protect Bicycle Safety
In order to ensure their safety and prevent injuries on South Carolina roadways, the SC Department of Health and Environmental Control recommends the following safety tips for bicyclists:
- Wear a helmet to protect yourself from head and brain injuries
- Wear brightly colored clothing to ensure you’re visible to other drivers
- When exiting a driveway or at intersections, stop, look left, right, then left again before pulling out
- Before riding, be sure your tires are properly inflated, and that your brakes are in good working order
Of course, never operate a bike when under the influence of alcohol or drugs. By being alert, knowing the laws regarding cyclists, and taking protective measures, you can ensure your bike ride will be a safe one.
Providing Legal Representation for Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents can cause significant disruptions in the lives of both the injured party and drivers. The South Carolina bicycle accident attorneys at The Anastopoulo Law Firm work hard to provide fair and effective legal representation for those injured in bicycle wrecks.
We provide legal representation and advice for bicyclists who have suffered all injury types, such as:
Don't Wait to Get Help! Call Today!
If you have been involved in a bicycle accident, you should stay calm, pick up the phone, and contact Anastopoulo Law Firm immediately. We always have professional representatives ready and willing to perform case intake services, and our lawyer is prepared to begin working immediately.
Call our office at (800) 313-2546 for a free case evaluation today.