Jif Peanut Butter Recall Lawsuit Attorney
According to the United States Food & Drug Administration (FDA), The J.M. Smucker Company, makers of Jif, issued a voluntary recall of many of its peanut butter products on May 20, 2022. The ongoing recall is due to potential Salmonella contamination in products produced in the company’s Lexington, Kentucky facility.
If you or a loved one became sick after consuming recalled Jif products, a Jif peanut butter recall lawsuit attorney with Poulin | Willey | Anastopoulo, LLC. can help you recover compensation for your damages. Read on to learn more about what to do if you suffered harm from a recalled product and how our firm can help you seek justice.
What Caused the Jif Peanut Butter Recall?
According to Jif, the peanut butter contamination is due to an equipment problem that allowed water to enter and remain in the production environment. Jif states it has corrected the issue and destroyed contaminated products in its facility.
However, before the company discovered the problem and issued the recall, several contaminated products made their way to shelves and into the hands of consumers.
For a free legal consultation, call 803-222-2222
What Should You Do If You Have a Recalled Jif Peanut Butter Product?
If you have Jif peanut butter products in your home, check the lot codes (located under or next to the “best if used by date”). If the first four digits of the code fall between 1274 and 2140 and the last three digits are 425, you have an affected product. Products with the last three digits 006 were produced at the company’s Memphis, Tennessee facility and are not contaminated.
Recalled Jif products include various sized jars, cans, twin packs, to-go packs, squeeze pouches, and plastic cases of:
- Jif Creamy Omega 3 Peanut Butter
- Jif Creamy Peanut Butter
- Jif Crunchy Peanut Butter
- Jif Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter
- Jif Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter International
- Jif Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
- Jif Natural Creamy Peanut Butter Honey
- Jif Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter
- Jif Natural Honey
- Jif No Sugar Added Peanut Butter
- Jif Portion Control Peanut Butter
- Jif Reduced Fat Creamy Peanut Butter
You should dispose of recalled Jif products immediately. You should also sanitize any utensils or surfaces that encountered a contaminated product. You can seek reimbursement from Jif by completing an online Recall Product Form.
If you experienced an adverse reaction to contaminated peanut butter, Jif asks that you contact the company at jif.com/contact-us or (800) 828-9980. You may also want to consult with our Jif peanut butter recall lawsuit lawyers about recovering your medical expenses and additional losses.
Other Affected Products
Because Jif peanut butter is an ingredient used in many other products, the FDA issued further recalls in June 2022 for affected foods, including:
- Wawa Apple & Peanut Butter Dipper
- Multiple Wilbur chocolate products
- Country Fresh Fresh Cut Fruit Snack Trays and Fruit Snack Cups
- Fresh Seasons Power Packs
- Garden Cut Apple Wedges and Celery Bites with Peanut Butter
- Mary’s Harvest Celery and Apple Peanut Butter Cups
- Various Coblentz Chocolate Company products containing peanut butter
- Albertsons Companies store-prepared items containing peanut butter
- Del Monte Fresh cut fruit and vegetable products
- Walmart and Fudgeamentals Fudge
- Euphoria Chocolate Company chocolate candy
- Jack & Olive and Created Fresh! Egg and Cheese Curds snack and power boxes
- A G Specialty Foods Snack Packs and Sandwiches
- Rich’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Quick Chek Apple and Peanut Butter Snack Trays
- Giant Eagle baked items containing peanut butter
- Taharka Brothers Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream
- Fresh Garden Highway Protein Power Snack
- Prairie City Bakery Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
- Various Deskins Candies
If you became ill after consuming any of these products, our Jif peanut butter recall attorneys may be able to assist you.
How Can Jif Peanut Butter Make You Sick?
Salmonella bacteria found in Jif can cause severe foodborne illness. Symptoms and side effects of Salmonella include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach cramps
- Blood in the stool
If Salmonella enters your bloodstream, it can cause a serious infection known as bacteremia. Bacteremia can affect the urinary tract, bones and bone marrow, tissue around the brain and spinal cord, heart valve lining, and the lining of blood vessels.
Furthermore, individuals who suffered from a Salmonella infection are also at higher risk of developing reactive arthritis, known as Reiter’s syndrome. Reactive arthritis causes eye irritation, painful joints, and painful urination.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Our Attorneys Can Help You Seek Compensation for Your Recall-Related Damages
Under product liability laws, injured parties can hold companies liable for manufacturing defects in their products. If you suffered from Salmonella or another illness caused by Jif peanut butter, we can help you recover compensation for your medical bills and other damages. Financial recovery may include:
- Current and future recall-related medical expenses
- Lost wages, earnings, and benefits
- Monetary compensation for physical pain, emotional distress, and mental suffering
- Compensation for the wrongful death of a loved one
You may qualify for inclusion in a class-action lawsuit. A class action allows multiple plaintiffs to sue the same entity for the same or similar wrongdoing. A class action can benefit you by giving you strength in numbers, lowering litigation costs, and ensuring uniform verdicts. A class action also lessens your legal burden because a few designated plaintiffs represent the class, meaning you do not have to appear in court.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Our Jif peanut butter recall lawsuit lawyers will:
- Investigate your foodborne illness and prove Jif products caused your sickness
- Obtain evidence, including proof of purchase, medical records, witness statements, and experts’ testimony
- Help you join a class action
- Represent you and the rest of the class in a civil action to recover your damages
- Fight for the most advantageous settlement or verdict possible
- Keep you informed and updated about the status of your case
Call Poulin | Willey | Anastopoulo, LLC. for a Free Consultation
Taking on a major manufacturer like The J.M. Smucker Company can seem daunting, but you do not have to do it alone. You can seek compensation, and our Jif peanut butter recall lawsuit attorneys can fight for you.
Contact Poulin | Willey | Anastopoulo, LLC. for a free consultation. We can answer your questions and tell you more about how we can represent you at no upfront cost to you. Also, check out our client testimonials to find out what clients liked about working with us. Call now at (800) 313-2546.
Call or text 803-222-2222 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form