Fairfield Personal Injury Attorney
Personal injury laws in South Carolina allow victims to pursue compensation from negligent parties if they can prove the defendant’s actions caused their injuries. This means if you were injured in a preventable action, you may have grounds to file a legal claim against the liable party or parties to hold them accountable for any damages you suffered.
At Poulin | Willey | Anastopoulo, LLC., our lawyers in Fairfield County represent several types of accident victims, from automobile accident victims to nursing home victims. If you have additional questions about whether you qualify to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit, we offer the first consultation with our team for free. We can go over your case details, then discuss how a Fairfield personal injury attorney from our team can build your case.
What Types of Cases Fall Under Personal Injury Law?
Our law firm practices in various areas of personal injury law, including:
- Automobile accidents: These accident cases can involve passenger vehicles, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, pedestrians, Uber or Lyft vehicles, buses, and even construction vehicles. In some cases, plaintiffs may have to file more than one claim if multiple liable parties exist (e.g., cases involving multiple vehicles).
- Medical malpractice:If you suffered injuries due to the negligence of your physician, nurse, or another type of medical worker, you may qualify to file a medical malpractice claim. Medical facilities, such as hospitals, can also be held accountable for malpractice.
- Birth injuries:Birth injury cases fall within medical malpractice. Infants who sustained injuries as a result of delivery errors or other negligence (e.g., failure to undergo emergency C-section surgery to avoid injuries during the birthing process) qualify for compensation, especially if their injuries have long-term or permanent health effects.
- Premises liability:These cases often include slips, trips, and falls on public or private property. Other cases that fall within premises liability include cases involving dog bite attacks, accidental drownings, and cruise ship accidents.
- Nursing home abuse and neglect:Elder adults can be left vulnerable under negligent or malicious care. If you suspect your loved one might be a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, our team can help their voice be heard so that the appropriate parties are held accountable for their lack of quality care.
If your case doesn’t fall within any of these categories, that doesn’t mean you don’t qualify for a personal injury case. Our team will listen to your case to determine what actions may be suitable for you, then assign you a Fairfield personal injury attorney from our team to lead your case.
For a free legal consultation, call 803-222-2222
What Kinds of Damages Can You Pursue in a Personal Injury Case?
Depending on the type of accident that led to your injuries, you may pursue damages related to:
- Your medical expenses: This can include costs for emergency room treatment, hospitalization, surgeries, and doctor’s appointments. It can also apply toward prescription medications and medical equipment you had to purchase to treat your injuries or assist your recovery. If you are facing future medical expenses, you may also pursue compensation for the expected treatment you will receive.
- Property damage:Automobile accident cases often include property damages, such as costs for vehicle repairs. If your vehicle was totaled in the accident, you may receive the actual cash value of your vehicle based on the current market and your vehicle specs.
- Income loss:If your injuries were so severe that you were forced to take off work, take extended leave, or even quit your job entirely, you may be owed the wages you lost. You can also claim “reduced earning potential” if your injuries will force you to take a lower-paying position even. For example, individuals who suffer lower back injuries in an auto accident may be forced to leave labor jobs that require extensive bending or lifting.
- Pain and suffering:Other mental and physical damages may fall under “pain and suffering,” which tend to involve subjective forms of injuries. Damages such as emotional distress, permanent disability, loss of consortium, and physical disfigurement all fall within this category. Your lawyer can go over your grievances to determine to extent of your pain and suffering and how much you may pursue in compensation.
While these are some of the main types of compensatory damages, ultimately each case is unique. Additionally, if your loved one does not survive their injuries, you or another qualifying family member may file a wrongful death claim to pursue related damages, such as funeral service costs and loss of inheritance. A Fairfield County, South Carolina, injury lawyer will be sensitive to your situation while managing your case.
What Does a Personal Injury Attorney Do?
When you hire a personal injury attorney in Fairfield County, South Carolina, from our firm, we provide the following services:
- Case investigation: We will review the official accident report you filed with law enforcement, then conduct our own investigation to confirm key details of your case. During this investigative period, we will also collect evidence to support your claims, such as video footage, witness testimony, and analysis from expert witnesses.
- Legal paperwork assistance:Part of the benefits of working with our team is that we will handle the technical and legal aspects of your case, such as filling out paperwork. This is crucial because your claim must be submitted within the statutory filing period, as defined by C. Ann. § 15-3-530. We stay on top of legal deadlines to avoid having your case dismissed.
- Legal representation in all meetings:Cases can be settled both in and out of trial, so your lawyer may step up to represent you in all situations. Whether you want your lawyer to lead negotiation efforts to settle your case before the trial begins or to present your case in front of a jury, our attorneys are prepared to lay out the facts and advocate for your case.
An accident lawyer in Fairfield County, SC, is also available to handle communication attempts from inquiring parties, such as the defendant’s legal team or insurer, and relay these messages to you. We will also provide other case updates as they come and offer legal counsel whenever you want guidance on making a decision.
We Provide Other Resources for Your Case
You can learn more general information about the Clerk of Court in Fairfield County on its website, which goes over which court handles certain cases. Alternatively, if you would like more information to prepare for your case, you can ask our legal team, and we will provide these resources to you.
Our legal team works on a contingency fee basis, meaning we only collect our attorney’s fees if we win your case. So, it is within our interest to provide enough resources to help you understand the legal journey you’re on. We will provide guidance, but ultimately, all legal decisions are yours to make.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Call Poulin | Willey | Anastopoulo, LLC., Today to Hire a Fairfield Personal Injury Lawyer
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident in Fairfield County, South Carolina, our legal team at Poulin | Willey | Anastopoulo, LLC., wants to hear your case. A Fairfield personal injury attorney from our firm can help you hold the party who contributed to your injuries and damages accountable by filing a claim or lawsuit on your behalf. We aim to fight for your right to receive compensation so that you may be able to begin your personal recovery.
Call (800) 313-2546 today to receive a free case evaluation. Our team representatives can explain what legal options are available to you, then start building your case file right away.
Call or text 803-222-2222 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form