Lexington Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Medical malpractice is unfortunately widespread in the United States, to the point where it is a leading cause of death in the country. If your doctor failed to treat you with the care and concern you deserve, a Lexington medical malpractice lawyer from Poulin | Willey | Anastopoulo, LLC., wants to help.
After sustaining a personal injury due to malpractice, our injury team can fight hard to protect your rights and pursue a settlement or jury award to pay for the damages you suffered. You can learn more during a free consultation with us.
What to Do About Medical Malpractice in South Carolina
Within South Carolina’s Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation (LLR) is the Office of Investigations and Enforcement (OIE). The LLR is responsible for licensing medical practitioners. If you file a complaint against a practitioner licensed through the department, it can investigate your case and, potentially, revoke that medical professional’s license to practice.
Reporting a negligent doctor can protect yourself and others from further malpractice. However, it does not make up for the injuries you have sustained. For that, you can hire a medical malpractice lawyer in Lexington from Poulin | Willey | Anastopoulo, LLC., to:
- Keep in touch: We will let you know when the other side contacts us and if something big happens in your case. We also respond to your calls and queries with helpful, relevant information.
- Collect evidence: In addition to any complaints you file, we can look at your medical records and bills, examine the doctor’s professional history, and ask medical experts for their opinion on your case.
- Negotiate on your behalf: We are not afraid to meet face to face with the insurer’s representatives and insist that they pay a fair settlement. Once we reach an agreement, we can even draw up the papers for you to sign.
- Present your case in court: In cases where we cannot negotiate a settlement, we can pursue a jury award instead. You would not need to appear in court yourself. We can represent you there and make all arguments.
Most of all, one of our medical malpractice attorneys in Lexington, S.C., can grant you much-needed security, confidence, and peace of mind. You would have a staunch advocate fighting only for your interests and no one else’s. Nor would you have to worry about affording our services, because:
- We offer a free case evaluation to everyone who calls our office.
- We can visit you if your injuries make travel difficult, reducing your travel costs.
- We charge no attorney’s fees up front to work on your case.
- We do not charge attorney’s fees at all if we cannot recover compensation for you.
For a free legal consultation with a medical malpractice lawyer serving Lexington, call 803-222-2222
How Medical Malpractice May Qualify You for Compensation in S.C.
Malpractice can have serious consequences on your short-term and long-term well-being. You could have sustained any number of injuries from substandard care practices, such as:
- Being prescribed the wrong dosage of a medication or a medication you did not need at all
- Being denied care that you ask for or believe to be necessary
- Test results being ignored or interpreted incorrectly
- Your doctor’s failure to consult with your other doctors or warn you about a potential treatment’s dangers
- Unnecessary surgery or surgery performed incorrectly
Such errors can impact you financially, physically, and mentally. We could help you seek damages for all three of those categories. Consider the following examples, and if you are not sure which ones apply to your case, feel free to speak to our team for more information:
- Lost income: Did you have to take time away from work so your malpractice injuries could heal?
- Loss of earning capacity: Will you have to permanently reduce your working hours, quit your job, or find another career?
- Medical costs: Did you have to see another doctor to undo the damage the malpractice caused?
- Pain and suffering: Did you experience physical and emotional upset due to the malpractice?
- Disability: Have your injuries changed how you can use your mind and body, either temporarily or permanently?
- Loss of consortium: Has your relationship with your spouse or another relative been permanently altered because of your injuries?
You may find it useful to create a list of the ways your life has changed since the malpractice. We can use that list to determine what damages you are eligible for.
Lexington Medical Malpractice Lawyer Near Me 803-222-2222
Medical Malpractice Laws in Lexington
First, it is important to know what does and does not constitute medical malpractice in South Carolina. For your case to qualify, you-or your lawyer serving Lexington-must prove:
- The doctor was responsible for your well-being and had a duty to provide a certain standard of care.
- The doctor did not live up to their duties and responsibilities.
- The doctor’s breach of duty caused your injuries.
- Your injuries have had a measurable, negative impact on multiple aspects of your life.
If you did not receive the medical outcome you wanted, this does not necessarily mean your doctor committed malpractice. It is important to establish that they did something which any reasonable professional in their position would never have done or that they neglected to do something a reasonable professional would have done.
Limitations on Medical Malpractice Lawsuits in South Carolina
The law in South Carolina works slightly differently when it comes to malpractice cases versus other types of personal injury cases.
For example, according to S.C. Ann. § 15-3-545, you must begin your case within three years of when you knew or should have known about the malpractice. This date may or may not be the same as the date the malpractice took place.
In addition, S.C. Code § 15-32-220 limits the amount you can receive in physical and emotional damages (e.g., pain and suffering) to $350,000. A Lexington, South Carolina, medical malpractice lawyer from Poulin | Willey | Anastopoulo, LLC., can fight for the money you deserve while working within the law.
Click to contact our Lexington Personal Injury Attorney today
We Help Medical Malpractice Survivors and Victims in Lexington, S.C.
Whether you yourself suffered a malpractice-related injury or are taking legal action on behalf of a deceased loved one, we want to help. Call Poulin | Willey | Anastopoulo, LLC. for a free case review at (800) 313-2546. One of our Lexington medical malpractice lawyers can fight for you from the start of your case to the very end.
Call or text 803-222-2222 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form