Lexington Birth Injury Attorney
You spent a long time waiting for your baby to arrive. Now, instead of focusing on milestones and celebrating other events, you’re worried about their quality of life. No one should have to suffer a birth injury––and you can hold the liable party financially responsible.
A Lexington birth injury attorney from Poulin | Willey | Anastopoulo, LLC. can seek a settlement from the liable party’s insurer or file a personal injury lawsuit. This enables you to seek justice while pursuing the funds you need to ensure your child’s well-being.
Our Lexington Birth Injury Attorneys Can Help
Poulin | Willey | Anastopoulo, LLC. can manage all of your case’s obligations. We can investigate any number of potentially liable parties, including your:
- Physician’s assistant
- Another specialist
- The institution that the negligent provider works for
Multiple parties could share liability for your child’s birth injury. If so, we will pursue legal action against all of them.
We Will Do Everything Possible to Recoup Financial Recovery
Many medical providers carry liability insurance to cover malpractice-related damages. We can pursue those damages by:
- Collecting evidence from as many sources as possible to build a strong case
- Determining (based on your case’s evidence) if your situation involves ordinary negligence or gross negligence
- Calculating how much money you may be entitled to
- Sending a demand letter to the insurance company
- Either negotiating with the insurance company for a settlement or taking your case to trial-whichever route benefits your legal goals
- Taking care of all necessary paperwork so you do not have to think about filling out forms or filing deadlines
Whatever legal job is required to keep your case in motion, Poulin | Willey | Anastopoulo, LLC. can handle it. We will keep you updated throughout your case and help you make legal decisions. More importantly, we want to give you the time and comfort you need to focus on your child.
For a free legal consultation with a birth injury lawyer serving Lexington, call 803-222-2222
What Birth Injury Damages Are Available?
One of our attorneys who serve Lexington can help you pursue both economic and non-economic damages after a birth injury.
What Are Economic Damages?
Economic damages are compensation paid to someone who lost money due to another party’s carelessness. This may refer to any extra bills or a reduction in income, such as:
- Loss of wages, if you or your partner had to stay home from work to take care of your child
- Loss of employment, if you or your partner left your job so you could care for your child full-time
- Medical bills, if your child needed or will need special care to live with their injury
- Loss of earning capacity, if your child will not be able to work full-time or have a career due to their injury
What Are Non-Economic Damages?
Non-economic damages are compensation for the physical, emotional, and psychological pain caused by the birth injury. Recoverable damages include:
- Pain and suffering, which accounts for the physical and emotional hardships your family may face
- Reduced quality of life, if your child will need help with certain tasks (e.g., bathing or cooking) or be unable to enjoy certain activities
- Disability, if the injury has caused a temporary or permanent disabling injury
Lexington Birth Injury Lawyer Near Me 803-222-2222
What to Know About Birth Injuries
Birth injuries are a type of medical malpractice. Medical malpractice is defined by S.C. Ann. § 15-79-110(6) as behaving in any way that a “reasonably prudent health care provider or health care institution” would not. This includes behaviors like:
- Refusing to take prompt action even after it was clear that your child was in distress
- Continuing with an action that was doing harm to you or your child
- Dismissing or misdiagnosing symptoms of a potentially dangerous condition
- Allowing an inexperienced or undertrained medical practitioner to care for you or your child
- Providing the wrong treatment or using the wrong equipment for the situation
Examples of Birth Injuries
Such actions can have devastating, lifelong consequences for your entire family, especially your child. Birth injuries could result in:
- Cerebral palsy
- Erb’s palsy
- Hypoxia (lack of oxygen flow to the brain)
- Shoulder dystocia
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Cognitive impairments
Such conditions may affect how your child:
- Moves: Physical disabilities could make it difficult for your child to walk, talk, see, hear, and play.
- Thinks or behaves: Developmental delays or disabilities mean your child would have a hard time controlling or expressing their emotions. They may struggle to understand the world around them.
- Learns: You may have to enroll your child in a school that specializes in caring for children with intellectual disabilities. They may have trouble reading, counting, or picking up new skills.
- Supports themselves: As U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) data shows, disabled individuals are much more likely to be unemployed than those without disabilities.
Your child deserves to live a happy and healthy life. With financial recovery, you can give them that and more.
Finding Support After a Birth Injury
No parent or child should have to suffer a birth injury. You may find yourself feeling helpless and overwhelmed with no way to ease your child’s pain or your own. Aside from hiring a birth injury lawyer in Lexington, SC, from our firm, you may find it beneficial to:
- Report your doctor: The South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation (LLR) has an office devoted specifically to handling complaints against medical professionals.
- Join a support group: Talking to other people whose children suffered birth injuries can provide solace. Groups like Family Connection of South Carolina can introduce you to other parents and help you find the right services for you and your child.
- Research your child’s rights: For example, the South Carolina Department of Education offers special educational programs for disabled children in Lexington, as mandated by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
A birth injury attorney in Lexington, SC, from Poulin | Willey | Anastopoulo, LLC. can pursue the funds you need to make your child’s life easier.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Tell Us About Your Birth Injury Today
Call (800) 313-2546 as soon as possible after your child’s birth injury. A team member from Poulin | Willey | Anastopoulo, LLC. will assess your case for free and explain your legal options. At a time like this, you should be able to focus on your family while leaving the law to us. We’re ready to start advocating for your family now.