If you or a family member used Zantac and developed cancer, you could be eligible to join a mass tort compensation case against the manufacturer. Zantac was available to consumers in prescription and over-the-counter formulas and was commonly prescribed to patients who suffered from acid reflux, heartburn, and ulcers.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently recalled Zantac because it has been linked to certain types of cancer. At Anastopoulo Law Firm, our mass tort team is helping injured clients seek compensation through Zantac lawsuits. So, when you join other injured clients in a mass tort case, you can recover compensation for your injuries, pain and suffering, and more. Consultations with our team are free.
Why is Zantac Now Considered Potentially Harmful?
In April of 2020, FDA officials formally called for removal of all Zantac products from the market. The agency issued this order because of a possible link to cancer in adults through the medication’s main ingredient, ranitidine.
Third-party testing company Valisure detected an impurity in ranitidine products: high levels of the contaminant N-Nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA). NDMA is a probable human carcinogen. An element known to cause cancer.
Moreover, testing suggests that the presence of this carcinogen can increase over time. Particularly, when ranitidine medications are stored at high temperatures. Such exposure may occur during the shipping process.
The Dangers of NDMA
NDMA is a probable human carcinogen. Again, an element known to cause cancer. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), it can form during industrial or natural processes. However, while it previously had several uses and appeared as a byproduct of certain manufacturing processes, it is now only used for research purposes.
According to the FDA’s report, certain foods and water may contain low levels of NDMA. At these lower levels, this substance is not known to increase the risk of cancer or any other harmful health effects.
However, the levels detected in ranitidine products during Valisure’s testing were well-above what the FDA considers safe, which caps at about 96 nanograms per day.
What to Do If You Have Been Taking Zantac
Along with its recall, the FDA issued guidance for those who recently purchased Zantac or regularly use the drug to treat their heartburn or other conditions. The agency advises consumers to:
- Stop taking any over-the-counter ranitidine medication and dispose of it by following the proper drug disposal procedures
- Consult with their physician before stopping use of prescription ranitidine in order to find a suitable alternative
In addition, make sure to hold onto any evidence that you purchased or used the drug, such as receipts and prescriptions. So, these documents can support a Zantac lawsuit against the manufacturer for the damages you’ve suffered.
When a manufacturer of any product is aware of a potential danger to consumers, they have an obligation to provide warnings about the risks. However, if that does not happen, consumers can hold the manufacturer financially liable for any injuries and other damages that occur.
Types of Cancer Linked to Zantac
The medical journal Cancers (Basel) cites a correlation between long-term use of Zantac and the following types of gastrointestinal cancers:
- Small intestine
Thus, our attorneys want to help injured consumers hold Zantac’s manufacturer accountable for the harm they suffered. If you were diagnosed with one of these cancers after taking Zantac, our team can help you join others seeking compensation from the drug’s manufacturer. We will handle the details of the case, gather all relevant documents, and guide you through the legal process.
Who Can File a Zantac Lawsuit?
You could qualify to seek compensation for Zantac-related damages if you:
- Consumed Zantac or another medication containing the ingredient ranitidine and later developed cancer or other serious condition
- Have a loved one who consumed Zantac or another ranitidine medication and later developed cancer or another condition
Hundreds of other consumers have come forward with damages after taking ranitidine medication, meaning you may not need to file your case alone. Our team can explain your options, including your potential eligibility to join ongoing multi-district litigation (MDL) case against Zantac’s manufacturer: MDL 2924.
Ongoing Multidistrict Litigation Regarding Ranitidine-Related Cancer
After individual consumers filed lawsuits for Zantac-related damages, a judge approved the consolidation of these cases into an MDL in the U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida. MDL 2924 is currently ongoing, and no settlements have been reached yet. As of October 2021, it consisted of 1,619 actions, per the United States Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (JPML).
Some of the claims plaintiffs put forward in this mass tort include:
- Consumers of Zantac or a similar medication were put at risk of cancer due to impurities in the ingredient ranitidine.
- Many more victims are likely to step forward in the coming months.
Reasons to File a Zantac Lawsuit
Joining a mass tort case means you have a legal complaint against the same defendant as many other injured parties. Rather than file individual cases, you all come together as joint plaintiffs to request compensation from the named defendant. When you join a mass tort case against the manufacturer of Zantac, our attorneys will:
- Handle all case-related forms, filings, and documentation
- Provide regular case-related updates
- Make required legal notifications in a timely fashion
- Seek maximum compensation for mass tort defendants
Our mass tort team will make home and hospital visits to discuss your case if necessary.
Our firm is also upfront and transparent about our fee agreement. We represent you on a contingency-fee basis, meaning we can start working on your case at no out-of-pocket costs to you. Instead, you do not pay anything unless we recover compensation for you.
Qualifying to Join a Zantac Mass Tort Case
You are not alone in your fight for justice and compensation from the company that made this dangerous drug. We seek to help many injured individuals and families seek compensation for the harm Zantac makers caused by helping them join a mass tort case. A potential lawsuit becomes a mass tort lawsuit when all plaintiffs seek recovery from the same defendant for similar damages.
When we review your case at no cost to you, our attorneys determine your eligibility to join a mass tort case. Our team also ensures you understand the anticipated timeline and are aware of each potential settlement offer.
Damages You Could Recover for Injuries Related to Zantac Use
When a drug you trusted to treat an existing medical condition leads to a more serious one because of the manufacturer’s negligence, you have a right to seek compensation.
By identifying the manufacturer’s liability, we help injured clients seek financial recovery for the following:
- Current and future medical bills
- Current and future loss of income
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional trauma
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death damages
- Possible punitive damages
Joining a Zantac mass tort case gives you the opportunity to seek the economic and non-economic recoverable damages for these losses. You may also recover compensation for travel expenses to and from necessary medical appointments. When our lawyers represent you, we work hard to ensure your case receives an accurate value and you receive the best possible outcome.
Our Firm Can Help You Fight to Recover Fair Compensation for Your Injuries
When you hire a Zantac cancer lawyer from Anastopoulo Law Firm, our team will advocate for your financial recovery. Depending on the circumstances, our team of injury attorneys can help you join the ongoing MDL or take another legal approach on your behalf. Along the way, we will:
- Look out for your best interests
- Compile evidence that you or your loved one took Zantac and suffered harm
- Build a compelling case for recoverable damages
- Estimate your recoverable compensation
- File your completed legal documents before the state’s filing deadline
- Represent you in all case-related proceedings
- Evaluate any settlement offers you receive
- Help you join the ongoing MDL or another case based on what’s best for you
Also, if your case requires additional steps, we will take care of everything for you.
Affording a Personal Injury Lawyer for Your Zantac Lawsuit
Our attorneys represent clients based on contingency, so we:
- Require no retainers or upfront fees to begin
- Cover all case-related costs
- Charge no attorney’s fees until we win the case
- Only take a percentage of the compensation we win for you – never out of your wallet
We also offer complimentary consultations. During our free review of your case, you can learn about:
- Your legal rights and options for seeking compensation
- The strength of your case
- Who may be liable
- How our services and fee arrangement works
Praise from Previous Injury Clients
Hearing from clients we helped in the past can inform you of the benefits and advantages of working with our law firm. For example, our testimonials page and Google reviews feature recommendations like these:
- “They were very professional, and they did things in a timely fashion. I just received my settlement. I am very pleased with everything.” – Farryn Maddox
- “This law firm was EXCELLENT…They are very determined and hard working. I highly recommend them to anyone.” – Jennifer Butler
- “They kept us informed as our case moved forward and we couldn’t have done it without Anastopoulo Law Firm.” – Catherine Casey
- “They made it all easy for me. Communication is amazing and I’d definitely recommend them.” – Sasha Mandisha
- “I was involved in an automobile accident & the Anastopoulo Law Firm handled my case very professionally. I would highly recommend them to anyone needing their service.” – Sophia Plagakis
Our firm is committed to building a compelling case for the compensation you seek. As we did for these clients, we will strive to help you fight for financial recovery after taking Zantac and subsequently suffering injuries.
Get a Free Legal Consultation with Our Mass Tort Team
Were you or someone you love diagnosed with cancer after using Zantac to treat heartburn or acid reflux? A mass tort lawsuit against the Zantac manufacturers can help you seek compensation for your or your loved one’s resulting injuries.
Contact one of our team members at Anastopoulo Law Firm by calling (800) 313-2546 to find out how we can help you join the fight for compensation. A free case assessment awaits.