Boating Accidents: Play It Safe on the Water
The U.S. Coast Guard works to reduce boating injuries and deaths by working with recreational boaters, through boater safety education, as well as by responding to emergency situations where boaters are in trouble. Last year, they reported over 4,000 recreational boating accidents, resulting in almost 1,000 deaths and close to 3,000 injuries, and causing $39 million in damages. The most frequent causes of boating accidents include:
- Inattention on the part of boat operators
- Improper lookout for other boats or obstacles
- Boat operator inexperience
- Excessive speed
- Navigation rules violations
- Force of wakes/creating large wakes, or wakes in no wake zones
- Alcohol use
According to the Coast Guard, excessive alcohol use is the leading contributing factor in boat accidents. Frequent safety checks are conducted on South Carolina waterways, and if an officer thinks a boater is intoxicated, under South Carolina law the boater can be charged with boating under the influence (BUI).
For a free legal consultation, call 803-222-2222
Boating Safety Tips
The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR) urges residents and visitors to enjoy the great outdoors and all our state has to offer. As with any activity, the important thing is to play it safe by being aware of your surroundings and taking a few precautions. The SCDNR encourages locals and tourists alike to follow these safety tips for boaters:
- Let someone know you are going boating, and make sure your cellphone is charged and with you
- Stay aware of weather conditions. If high winds, waves, storms, or choppy seas are expected, don’t go out on the water
- Know the navigation aids and buoy system in the area you’ll be boating
- Be sure you know – and follow – all boating regulations
- Always anchor from the bow off the boat, and don’t forget to pull up your anchor before leaving
Of course, in addition to the above, don’t operate a boat if you are under the influence of alcohol or medication.
Contact Our Experienced South Carolina Personal Injury Attorneys
If you or a loved one has been injured in a boating accident, contact the Anastopoulo Law Firm today. Our experienced South Carolina personal injury attorneys know the serious, potentially life threatening injuries caused by these accidents. We will fight to hold responsible parties accountable and help you get the compensation you deserve. With offices in Charleston and throughout South Carolina, call us today for a free review of your case.