What to Do If You Are Injured on Vacation
Common Vacation Injuries
Injuries are the leading cause for tourists to seek medical attention while traveling. The very nature of traveling lends itself to getting injured. You’re walking or driving around a place you’re not familiar with, distracted by your surroundings, and may even be tired due to lack of sleep or being off your normal schedule. The destination you’ve chosen itself may be a contributing factor; perhaps there are too many tourists in too small a space, dangerous walkways or environmental hazards, concerns related to food and water quality, or even hazards related to mosquitoes, snakes or airborne diseases. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention even reports that few of the most common travel related injuries include:
- Car accidents
- Slip, trip and fall accidents
- Drowning or near drowning accidents
Aside from potentially ruining your vacation, injuries as a result of these accidents can have severe consequences. Depending on the nature of your injury, the ramifications may be felt long after you’ve returned home.
For a free legal consultation, call 803-222-2222
What To Do If You’ve Been Injured on Vacation
In order to protect yourself, there are some basic steps to take if injured while on vacation:
- Wherever the injury happens, let someone know you’ve been hurt. If you were injured at a resort pool, or in an amusement park, on a cruise ship or even on the flight to your trip, let a staff member know immediately. If you’re in a car accident, or the situation in any way warrants it, notify the police.
- Seek medical attention. Regardless of the temptation to ‘walk it off’, get medical help right away. While you may not want to spoil a good time by having to go to a medical clinic or emergency room, delaying medical treatment often only makes matters worse.
- Get as much information as you can about where you were injured. Take pictures of any hazards that may have caused your accident, get the names of any witnesses, as well as names of employees who assisted you after the accident.
- Be sure and get the names and contact information for any medical providers who treat you, and keep records of any treatment received.
Contact Anastopoulo Law Firm
There are legal remedies available for people who have been injured while on vacation. If you’ve suffered an injury of any type while away from home, contact our experienced South Carolina attorneys. At Anastopoulo Law Firm with offices in Charleston and throughout South Carolina, our attorneys are experienced in handling personal injury cases resulting from injuries received while on vacation. Call us to review your case – we’ll work hard to get you the compensation you deserve.