Traveling by Car? Use These Safety Tips
Now that spring is in the air, it is the time of year to get out there and enjoy all our region has to offer. There are always plenty of events throughout South Carolina to keep your weekends busy, as well as plenty to see and do just a few short driving hours away. As you are planning activities and things to see and do, it is important to be aware of some basic principles of road safety. Car accidents and injuries occur with alarming regularity, and traveling to unfamiliar places requires a degree of extra caution. The following tips can help get you where you are going safely, while ensuring your weekend drives are fun filled as well as hassle and injury free.
Safety Tips When On the Road
According to the latest statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), more than five million car accidents occur throughout the United States annually, causing serious injuries for over two million drivers and their passengers. The majority of these accidents are the result of driver errors and reckless behavior, such as driving under the influence, speeding, falling asleep behind the wheel, and using cell phones or texting while driving. To avoid causing an accident or collision, the American Red Cross recommends the following driving tips to use on your next trip:
- Keep your car well-maintained, and check your tires, brakes, and fluid levels.
- Make sure your headlights and taillights are clean and in working order.
- Be well rested and alert when heading out.
- Go the speed limit, and avoid aggressive driving behaviors such as tailgating and improper passing.
- Avoid distractions, and give the road your full attention.
- Make frequent stops and rotate drivers during long trips.
- Make sure everyone wears a seatbelt at all times.
- If you are driving, refrain from using alcohol, drugs, or taking any medications that could impair your driving ability.
Defensive Driving Techniques
Unfortunately, even the safest driver can find themselves involved in an accident. While you cannot control the behavior of other drivers on the road, there are things you can do to help avoid car accidents and injuries. Follow these defensive driving tips from Edmunds to increase your safety on the road:
- Keep an eye out for changing conditions, including traffic, construction, and inclement weather;
- Stay in the center or right lanes, which will help avoid speeding drivers and provide an escape route if you need to pull over;
- Be aware of the blind spots in your own vehicle, as well as the potential blind spots for other cars and trucks; and
- Use caution in unfamiliar places, and be especially careful on nights and weekends, when traffic is heaviest and accidents are most likely to occur.
Contact Us for Assistance
If you or someone you care about is hurt in a car accident, contact the Anastopoulo Law Firm right away. Our experienced South Carolina car accident attorneys provide the professional legal representation you need to hold responsible parties accountable, and can assist you in getting the compensation you deserve for your injuries.