Motor Vehicle Accidents & Catastrophic Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents involving cars, trucks, and motorcycles injure hundreds of thousands of people in South Carolina each year. Car accidents may involve injuries in which victims recover quickly, whereas others may require more intensive treatment and prevent the victim from working or enjoying their normal activities. Unfortunately, there are also cases in which drivers or their passengers suffer catastrophic injuries. These are severe and potentially life threatening, often resulting in permanent disabilities and producing drastic changes in both the victim and in the lives of their loved ones and family members.
Catastrophic Injuries In South Carolina
According to statistics from the South Carolina Department of Public Safety (SCDPS), close to 350,000 people are involved in motor vehicle accidents each year in our state. Of this number, more than two thirds of the victims involved reported property damages alone, while the remainder suffer some form of injuries. For roughly ten percent of these people, or approximately 3,000 drivers and passengers each year, the injuries they sustain may be considered catastrophic.
Catastrophic injuries are those which have a dramatic impact on the victim and the way their body functions. In the immediate aftermath of an accident, these injuries may require extraordinary measures, such as emergency surgeries, induced comas, and ventilators, just to keep the person alive. They can also cause permanent disfigurement and profound physical, emotional, and intellectual changes. Types of catastrophic injuries include:
- Burn injuries
- Multiple, severe fractures
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal injuries, damaging body organs
- Head injuries, resulting in disruption of brain function
- Injuries to the face, resulting in permanent loss of hearing or vision.
The SCDPS reports that these types of injuries are most common among vehicle drivers in accidents in which victims are ejected or thrown from the vehicle.
For a free legal consultation, call 803-222-2222
Compensation For Catastrophic Injuries
For car accident victims, getting compensation through an injury claim is important to provide for any future medical costs or lost wages they incur. In cases involving catastrophic injuries, it is crucial to ensure accident victims receive the level of care they need.
Under the South Carolina Code of Laws, victims are entitled to recover damages to reimburse them for their losses, as well as for any future costs they may incur. Damages available to victims of catastrophic injuries include:
- Medical expenses, to cover doctor and hospital expenses, ongoing treatments, medications, assistive medical devices, physical therapy, and home health care aides
- Lost wages and future losses in income and benefits as the result of their injuries
- Compensation for pain, suffering, and mental anguish victims endure due to their accident or injuries
- Loss of enjoyment in life and loss of companionship, which is available to family members of victims
- Punitive damages, which is an amount meant to punish the at-fault party for conduct that is particularly reckless
Get Help Today
When you have a loved one who has suffered these types of injuries, you need compassionate and professional legal representation you can trust. Call or contact Anastopoulo Law Firm online today, and request a free consultation.