Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Charleston, SC
Riding a bike is a great way to stay physically fit, and it is a cost-effective and environmentally friendly form of transportation. In Charleston, SC, our temperate year-round climate and natural terrain make bike riding a popular activity for people of all ages. Unfortunately, an increase in the number of people riding bikes has resulted in an increase in bicycle accidents and injuries.The following outlines important tips on bicycle safety, and how to avoid collisions. If you’ve been in an accident don’t hesitate to call the Charleston, SC bicycle accident attorneys at Anastopoulo Law Firm today.
Bicycle Accidents In South Carolina
The Palmetto Cycling Coalition promotes rider safety in South Carolina. They report that while South Carolina ranks 33rd in terms of the number of people who ride bikes as a mode of transportation, these numbers have been steadily increasing over the past ten years. Charleston in particular has seen tremendous growth in the number of bike riders, with increases of as much as 73 percent.
While South Carolina’s overall bicycle accident injury rate is low compared to other areas, Charleston, Horry, Greenville, Beaufort, and Sumter County are among the top ten most dangerous for riding a bike in the state. Cyclists can help to reduce the risk of suffering serious and potentially life threatening injuries by following these basic bicycle safety tips:
- Even though it is not required by bicyclists over the age of 18, wearing a helmet can help protect against head injuries
- Make sure your bike is properly maintained, and check the brakes and tire pressure before taking trips
- Make sure to use reflective lighting on the front and back of your bike, and wear bright, light colored clothes, especially when riding at night
- Do not ride your bike if you have been drinking or are under the influence of any type of mood altering medication
Even if you take all precautions and follow the laws to a tee, bicycle accidents still happen, causing major property damages, injuries, and life-long impairments. In addition, you might be entitled to economic and non-economic damages (including mental anguish, disability, disfigurement, etc.). Still, you need a South Carolina bicycle accident attorney to take matters into their own hands and represent your rights. Under the negligence theory in South Carolina, you could get compensation even if you were slightly at fault for the accident. Nevertheless, if the other party carries 100% responsibility for your injuries, your attorney will make sure you get fast and fair compensation.
For a free legal consultation, call 803-222-2222
Tips To Avoid Bicycle Accidents
The American Automobile Association (AAA) advises that in addition to safety fundamentals such as those listed above, bicyclists can help to prevent accidents by learning hand signals to use in communicating with other drivers when making stops, lane changes, or turns. Additional tips the AAA recommends to help avoid bicycle collisions include:
- Avoid wearing headphones while riding, and stay alert for signs of impending accidents such as screeching tires and horns
- Other than when making hand signals, keep both hands on the handlebars at all times
- Keep your feet on the pedals, and wear appropriate footwear, avoiding sandals, high heels, and flip flops
- Always ride with the flow of traffic, and ride single file when in a group
- Avoid riding at night when possible, and avoid roads with speed limits in excess of 35 mph
If possible, make eye contact with drivers when merging or turning into traffic, being careful to look left, then right, then left again before continuing.
Reach Out to Us for Assistance
If you are injured as the result of a bicycle accident, contact Anastopoulo Law Firm right away. Our bicycle accident attorneys in Charleston, SC understand the serious injuries that can result from these accidents and can advise you on how to get the compensation you need to recover.