Stretching Holiday Dollars When You’ve Been Injured on the Job
The holidays are the time of year for festive celebrations and get-togethers with family and friends. But it’s hard to resist the commercial element. Store displays are brimming with holiday décor and gift giving ideas, and it’s easy to go overboard and into debt during this time of year. If you or someone you care for has suffered an on-the-job accident or injury that prevents you from working or bringing in your usual amount of income, you may be dreading the holidays and wondering how you will keep up with expenses. While workers’ compensation benefits can be a lifeline in terms of helping you to provide for your family, knowing how to stretch your budget can help to make this holiday season less stressful and more joyous for yourself and those you love.
Stretch Your Budget
All of us can benefit from setting realistic goals over the holiday season. Careful budgeting becomes even more important when you are recovering from an on-the-job injury. While we all love getting together with friends and loved ones, celebrating the holidays should not cause you to max out your credit cards or go into debt. Check out these Bankrate tips for stretching your budget during this season:
- Make a plan. Calculate holiday decorations and entertainment costs, while determining who you need to buy for, and how much you can realistically spend
- Make a list. Have a shopping list and stick to it when you are in a grocery or department store to avoid overspending
- Get creative. Consider doing a gift grab bag or ‘Secret Santa’ instead of buying individual gifts—or plan a potluck dinner instead of trying to do it all yourself
You may find that your friends and relatives appreciate your efforts to scale back on holiday gift giving for the sake of their own budgets as well, and most are more than willing to chip in and help while you recover from your on-the-job injuries.
Enjoying The Holidays
Setting and staying within a budget does not mean having to sacrifice fun. You could find yourself enjoying the holiday season more this year as the result of setting more realistic expectations. Focus on spending time with those you love, and take advantage of local, free events, such as those offered by the City of Charleston:
- Holiday Magic in Historic Charleston: Enjoy the sights and sounds of the city while visiting the Saturday City Market, which takes on a holiday theme throughout the month of December
- Happy New Year Charleston: For New Year’s Eve, head into town for an evening of activities, including live music and comedy shows that are appropriate for all ages
You can find other festive, free or low cost events throughout the South Carolina area by visiting the South Carolina Information Highway (SCIWAY) website.
For a free legal consultation, call 803-222-2222
Get Help With Your On-the-Job Injury Case
If you are injured on the job, contact Anastopoulo Law Firm today. Our South Carolina workers’ compensation attorneys can guide you through the claims process, helping you get the maximum amount of benefits you are entitled to.