Car Insurance Claim Advice
When car accidents occur, most people assume the costs will be covered by the insurance company for the at fault driver. Unfortunately, these companies are like any other business, and profits tend to be the bottom line. They have a financial motive for denying or undervaluing your claim. The following offers important car insurance claim advice. We’ll cover the costs associated with car accidents and injuries, as well as tips on how to get the most out of your car accident settlement.
Costs Associated With Car Accidents & Injuries
Insurance companies often attempt to downplay your injuries or the amount of damages you suffer as the result of a car accident. Understanding the actual costs involved can help you in negotiating a settlement. According to crash statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), medical costs alone can range from $3,000 for injuries you suffer as the result of a minor collision to as much as $400,000 or more for a major accident. Other costs you may suffer include:
- Lost wages: Depending on the severity of your injuries, the amount of days off work, and any temporary or permanent impairments you suffer, these costs can total up to one million dollars.
- Loss in household productivity: As the result of your accident, you may be unable to perform routine tasks associated with the care and upkeep of your home. As the result of having to depend on others in this capacity, you could end up spending anywhere between $1,000 and $100,000 or more.
- Property damages: Depending on the type of vehicle, the extent of damage, and any other items you may have been carrying, such as laptops and phones, repairing or replacing these items can easily cost between $1,000 and $40,000.
It is also important to consider the pain, suffering, and loss of enjoyment in life you suffer due to your accident. While there is no exact dollar amount to put on these damages, you have to consider what being in constant pain, having trouble sleeping, or being unable to enjoy hobbies and activities with your family and friends is worth to you.
Get The Most From Your Car Accident Settlement
To help get the maximum amount you are entitled to in a car accident insurance settlement, follow these tips:
- Take photos at the accident scene and get the names of any witnesses
- Get medical attention immediately, and follow all of your doctor’s instructions
- Write down notes about your injury, your treatment, and any effects on your daily activities
- Shop around to estimate the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle
- Calculate the impact your injuries could have on your ability to work or engage in activities during the years to come
- Work with an experienced car accident attorney
Get Help Today
Before accepting any settlement offers or signing any documents, contact Anastopoulo Law Firm first. Our South Carolina car accident attorneys can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf, helping to ensure you get the maximum amount you are entitled to. Request a free consultation today.