New Year’s Eve Safety Tips
Throughout South Carolina, New Year’s Eve means elaborate ‘First Night’ events and parties held in homes and at bars and restaurants. On one of the busiest nights of the year, you want to have fun but it is also important to make safety a priority. Accidents resulting in serious personal injuries are unfortunately common over New Year’s Eve. Here are some New Year’s Eve safety tips on how you and those you love can ring in the New Year on a healthy, happy note.
New Year’s Eve Dangers
The combination of people out celebrating and the prominent role drinking often plays at New Year’s events makes this one of the most common nights of the year for accidents and injuries. According to statistics from the National Safety Council (NSC) roughly one out of ten accidents that occur in December and January happen over the New Year holiday, with the hours leading up to midnight and the early morning of January first being the most dangerous. Common types of accidents which can occur over the holiday include:
- Car accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Slips and falls
- Gun accidents
- Accidental fires and fireworks injuries
In most of these cases, excessive alcohol use is a contributing factor. While it is natural to want to enjoy a few adult beverages while celebrating, it is important to do so in moderation, while also making safety a priority.
For a free legal consultation, call 803-222-2222
Tips For A Safe & Happy New Year’s Eve
To protect yourself and those you love against accidents and personal injuries, State Farm insurance offers these New Year’s Eve safety tips:
- Avoid drinking and driving: If you are going out for New Year’s Eve, make plans in advance for how you will get home. Cabs and Ubers will be in high demand, so make a reservation early to avoid being stuck. If you are entertaining at home, avoid over serving guests and be prepared to offer overnight accommodations if needed.
- Be careful about walking. Walking may seem a logical alternative to drinking and driving, but pedestrian accidents are a serious concern over the New Year. Avoid drinking too much, wear bright, light-colored clothing, stick to sidewalks and lighted streets, and wear appropriate shoes to prevent trips and falls.
- Use caution with fires and fireworks. While bonfires and firework displays can be a great way to celebrate, make sure there is a water source standing by. Keep small children nearby and avoid letting them get too close to displays.
- Practice firearm safety. While shooting off guns or rifles at midnight might be a tradition with folks in parts of the South, be careful with your aim and make sure all shooters have been properly trained.
Been Injured? Get Help Today
With these New Year’s Eve safety tips, you and yours can enjoy a safe and happy new year. When accidents or injuries do occur, the Anastopoulo Law Firm is here to help ensure your rights are protected. Call or contact our South Carolina personal injury attorney online today and request a free consultation. With seven locations to serve you in Charleston and throughout the state, we help you get the compensation you are entitled to.
Call or text 803-222-2222 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form