How To Find A Personal Injury Lawyer
Imagine this: Your car was hit by a driver who ran a red light. Your vehicle is totaled, you suffered injuries that put you out of work for a month and medical bills are mounting. You aren’t sure if the other driver will pay for a replacement car, your lost wages and doctor’s bills. You need legal help, and here’s how to find a personal injury lawyer.
Do you know someone who had legal help in the past? Referrals and recommendations from friends and family members who have legal issues are a good way to get candidates who can represent you. Just be sure that whoever is recommended is a personal injury attorney. Legal firms that have little experience in representing clients for medical malpractice or auto accidents may not get you all the compensation you might be entitled to.
Are you acquaintances with attorneys through your social circles, such as church or volunteer organizations? If not, ask other people if they know of attorneys in their family and social circles.
Search your state’s bar association. The South Carolina Bar Association has a directory you can search. Use their search criteria to find an attorney.
There are online directories you can use to find a personal injury attorney. Avvo and Martindale have the search capabilities where you can see lawyers either by name, practice area or location.
What Questions Should I Ask When Looking For A Personal Injury Lawyer?
For a free legal consultation, call 803-222-2222
Finding a lawyer who can handle your case is a large decision, perhaps one of the biggest ones you’ll ever make. These questions can help you decide who to hire to represent you in your legal battles.
- How long has she been practicing personal injury law? You want an experienced lawyer who understands the complexities of medical malpractice, for example.
- How much personal injury work does your firm perform? If it’s a small amount, you may be better off partnering with a firm that does a large amount of personal injury legal representation.
- Do you have experience with my particular insurance company? It could be helpful to your case if the attorney you choose has represented clients against your insurance provider.
- Will paralegals do most of the work, or will the attorney? For routine matters, a firm’s paralegal staff can quickly complete the work that needs to be done at a lower cost to you.
Before you make a final decision to hire a law firm, set up a meeting to explain your case and learn more about the lawyer you may want to be your legal representative. Here are some other considerations:
- How well did you and the attorney communicate? She should listen carefully to everything you say and understand what your case is about. Does she explain your case to you in a way you understand?
- How does this attorney get paid for your legal representation? Many firms work on contingency, meaning they take a percentage of the total settlement cost paid by the guilty party. If it is a contingency case, ask how much that percentage is.
- How do I get my part of the settlement? Your attorney gets a check for the entire amount of the settlement. She deducts her costs from the check, then sends the remainder to you.
- Have you tried, or settled cases like mine? What were the majority of the verdicts? This is a critical question. If the attorney you’re interviewing has light experience in cases similar to yours, she may not be the best choice. You have a higher chance of a successful settlement in your favor with a law firm that handles a larger volume of cases like yours.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
As you can see, there are a number of considerations to think about when hiring a personal injury attorney. The Anastopoulo Law firm in South Carolina is ready to fight for your legal rights to get you adequate compensation you may be entitled to for damaged property, medical bills and lost wages. Call us today at 800-777-777
Image courtesy of The Blue Diamond Gallery
Call or text 803-222-2222 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form