Accidents Caused by Aggressive Drivers
Aggressive Driving and ’Road Rage’
Incidents of road rage make the news frequently, featuring drivers who completely lose their cool and often cause serious, and even fatal accidents. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), aggressive drivers – and the accidents they cause – have become increasingly more common. The NHTSA classifies these drivers as being high risk, taking out their frustrations on other drivers, and having little or no concern for other motorists sharing the road. Behaviors associated with aggressive driving include:
- Weaving in and out of traffic
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Making improper lane changes
- Passing on the shoulder or in the opposite lane
Most of these behaviors are against the law, or at the least may cause a driver to be pulled over by local police or Highway Patrol. If you spot an aggressive driver who is endangering others on the road, make note of the license plate number, pull off the road safely, and call 911.
For a free legal consultation, call (800) 777-7777
Dealing With Aggressive Drivers
If you encounter an aggressive driver or someone with road rage while driving, the South Carolina Department of Public Safety recommends the following tips for driver safety:
- Get out of the way, and allow an aggressive driver to pass you
- Pull over if you need to get away from the driver; just be sure the area you pull over to isn’t isolated and is a safe distance from the road
- Don’t get into shouting matches or making gestures back at the aggressive driver; this will only distract you from the road
- Keep your own cool, and realize road rage isn’t personal. It’s more about the other driver than you
While we all have moments when we’re less than serene in traffic, there’s a difference between getting a little agitated and going into full-blown road rage. Are you an aggressive driver? The American Automobile Association (AAA) offers an online aggressive driving quiz that can help you determine if you have a problem.
Contact Our Experienced South Carolina Car Accident Attorneys
If you or a loved one has been hurt or injured due to a car accident with an aggressive driver, contact Anastopoulo Law Firm right away. Our experienced South Carolina car accident attorneys may be able to help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. With offices in Charleston and throughout South Carolina, call us today for a free review of your case.