What are Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
Any time a motorcycle is on the road, the driver is at risk because there is no protective surrounding to keep them from suffering significant injuries in an accident. Even worse, motorcyclists are presented with numerous challenges because of their smaller size and the fact that some individuals just don’t look out for them like they should.
For a free legal consultation, call 803-222-2222
Many times, there are acts of negligence on behalf of the motorist that causes the motorcyclist to crash, despite how safe they may be. Unfortunately, this can occur in a number of different manners, and it’s important for motorcyclists to recognize the various causes of motorcycle accidents to stay safe.
Top Causes of Motorcycle Accidents:
- Drunk driving: Like any motor vehicle accident, many of the motorcycle accidents that occur are a result of individuals who are drinking and driving.
- People opening car doors: With motorcycles having full lanes in which to operate, there are times when they get closer to the sidewalk and subsequently the parked cars. When the individuals in the parked cars don’t look for motorcycles, they can open the door right in the path of the motorcyclist.
- Speeding: Whether a car tries to get through a yellow light or tries to turn in a tight window, when they speed, motorcyclists are at risk of harm. This is when many accidents happen, and it’s typical when vehicles are speeding.
- Failure to check before changing lanes: Motorcyclists are at serious risk when drivers fail to check blind spots when changing lanes. Motorcycles are smaller vehicles, and they’re easily out of view unless the drivers around the motorcyclist take the extra caution to check their blind spots and signal when changing lanes.
- Motorcycle defects: Far too often, the negligence is caused by a manufacturer. When a part is not made or designed safely, or if there is a failure to warn about a problem, the manufacturer can be considered negligent when the defect causes harm.
At Anastopoulo Law Firm, we take these cases seriously because we recognize the serious dangers presented to motorcyclists. There is serious harm often caused in these types of accidents, and those injured need representation.
Speaking of legal representation, you should contact a motorcycle accident Columbia SC attorney with our law firm if you were the victim of such a crash. Once doctors tend to your injuries, you can discuss your legal options with your lawyer. Settlement and compensation might be on the table if your claim relies on irrefutable evidence against the at-fault party. However, insurers will not jump at the opportunity to offer you a satisfactory amount. In this case, your attorney might advise you to go to court and obtain a judge or jury ruling. A court trial takes longer than settlement negotiations, but it might be your best hope for recovery.
With our South Carolina motorcycle accident lawyers on your side, you can feel peace of mind knowing that we go the extra mile to help you pursue the compensation you deserve.