South Carolina Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
When a person chooses to get behind the wheel of a car or other motor vehicle while intoxicated, they are acting negligently. All too often, this negligence leads to serious injuries and the deaths of innocent bystanders.
At Anastopoulo Law Firm, we strive to hold drunk drivers accountable for the harm they cause. If you were injured or a drunk driver killed your loved one, reach out to our South Carolina drunk driving accident attorneys as soon as possible for a free, confidential consultation.
South Carolina Law Prohibits Drunk Driving
In South Carolina, like many other states, it is illegal for anyone who is over 21 to operate a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08% or higher. Meanwhile, anyone under the age of 21 may not drive a motor vehicle with a BAC of 0.02% or above. Additionally, commercial driver’s license holders may not operate any vehicle (whether a commercial vehicle or otherwise) with a BAC of 0.04% or higher.
Violation of any South Carolina law regarding driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol can result in criminal penalties. It can also result in civil action if the drunk driver causes bodily injury or property damage while operating a vehicle.
Proving Liability for a Drunk Driving Accident
Unlike in criminal cases, you don’t need to prove the driver was drunk to seek compensation in a civil case. Rather, you only need to establish:
- The driver’s duty to keep you safe: Namely, they should have practiced safe driving to keep you and others from harm.
- The driver’s actions that violated this duty: While drunk driving is certainly not a part of safe driving practices, this could include simply showing that the driver failed to maintain their lane or ran a red light.
- How these actions led to the collision: You will need evidence to connect the other driver’s actions to your accident.
- Your level of damages: You will need to prove the damages you suffered to seek compensation from the other driver.
These four elements are essential to any civil case, which is why our team will take the time to collect strong evidence of each when we represent you. You should not have to pursue compensation in a drunk driving accident case alone while recovering or grieving a loss.
For a free legal consultation with a drunk driving accident lawyer serving South Carolina, call (800) 777-7777
Recoverable Damages for a Drunk Driving Accident in South Carolina
If a drunk driver injured you or your loved one, you can take civil action to seek compensation for damages, including but not limited to:
- Medical expenses related to the accident
- The projected cost of future medical care
- Lost income/wages from time taken off work to receive treatment
- Loss of earning ability if your injuries are temporarily or permanently disabling
- Physical pain and suffering associated with the accident
- Emotional distress/trauma and loss of life enjoyment
Additionally, if your loved one was killed as a result of a collision with a drunk driver, you may be able to recover compensation for the following damages:
- Medical bills for treatment prior to death
- Funeral/burial expenses
- Loss of love/companionship
- Emotional suffering
- Loss of expected income and/or support
- Loss of benefits or inheritance
At Anastopoulo Law Firm, we understand that no amount of compensation can make up for the immense impact a drunk driving accident will have on your life. However, our drunk driving accident lawyers can help you fight for the recovery you need in South Carolina to get back on your feet. We can handle every aspect of your case so that you can focus on healing.
South Carolina Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me (800) 777-7777
Working with Anastopoulo Law Firm on a Drunk Driving Accident Case
Our firm has more than 25 years of combined experience. We know how to take on major insurance companies and the drivers they represent and win. Also, throughout our years in practice, our legal team has secured millions of dollars on behalf of our clients. You can hear from some of them below:
- “I would refer more people to do business with them. They give you the real details of your situation. Thanks to there company I’m on the way to get life back in order.” – Tim Edwards
- “They were fast, courteous and outstanding service. I recommend anyone to them.” – Jerome Williams
We take great pride in fighting for the rights of injured individuals and their families; you can find out how we can help you with your drunk driving accident claim through a free case assessment. If you decide to hire us, our car accident attorneys will:
- Thoroughly investigate the case to uncover crucial evidence
- Interview witnesses
- Construct a compelling case against the liable party
- Evaluate your damages to determine how much compensation you can seek
- Represent you in negotiations, hearings, and other case proceedings
- Empower you to make informed decisions regarding your case, such as whether or not to accept a settlement offer
- File all case-related paperwork on time
Our goal is to make the legal process as smooth as possible for you, so you can focus on recovering and caring for your family.
Penalties Under SC Drunk Driving Laws
South Carolina takes drunk driving very seriously. Drivers could lose their jobs, professional licenses, and/or certifications if found guilty of impaired driving. The penalties for getting pulled over are as follows:
- First offense: Up to $400 in fines, plus $992 in assessments and surcharges; being imprisoned anywhere from 48 hours to 30 days and a six-month suspension of your driver’s license
- Second offense: Fines ranging from $2100 – $6300, plus an additional $10,744.50 in assessments and surcharges; jail time ranging from five days to one year; driver’s license suspended for one year
From here, fines, jail time, and driver’s license suspensions increase. For example, drunk drivers face much higher fees and jail time for causing:
- Great bodily injury: Fines of $5,100 – $10,100 and $21,119.50 in assessments and surcharges; prison time ranges from 30 days to 15 years.
- Death to another person: Fines of $10,100 – $25,100 and $52,244.50 assessment and surcharge costs; prison time ranges from one to 25 years.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), drunk driving-related fatalities reached 10,142 in 2019. Likewise, 2019 data from the NHTSA shows that South Carolina showed the greatest decrease in the percentage of alcohol-impaired deaths, down to 28%.
Though these are the lowest numbers recorded in a while, it still represents the preventable loss of many lives. Our team at Anastopoulo Law Firm wants to hold these drivers accountable for their negligent actions when they cause others harm. We can use the results of their criminal cases to do just that.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What If I’m the Victim of a Drunk Driving Accident in South Carolina?
So, if a drunk driver injured you or a family member, call Anastopoulo Law firm at (800) 313-2546. Our accident lawyers serve clients across South Carolina from our offices in Charleston, North Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Columbia, Florence, and Greenville.
There is no fee for your initial consultation. In addition, we charge nothing for our services unless we deliver compensation in your case. Don’t wait to take action.